Saturday, May 9, 2009

Finishing the Unfinished

Unlike many knitters I don't have a huge stash, just a medium one, but the idea of having a stash doesn't bother me, its those half-finished projects that drive me crazy.
So, I made a vow that except for Etsy items and the occasional baby gift I wouldn't start any new projects--especially not sweaters--until I've finished the 4 or 5 half-finished sweaters I have on hand. The temptation to break the vow is constant and unrelenting...but I've been faithful so far.
I'm always in the wrong season with knitting. Just as winter was winding down I suddenly got motivated to finish a long blue cabled cardigan I'm knitting from the Debbie Bliss pattern book: 'Family Knits.' I'm not using a Debbie Bliss yarn though... instead Berroco Ultra Alpaca. I love this yarn. Light and soft, but not too fragile like many luxury yarns....nearly perfect.Very nice for cables because its not too heavy.
Here's the sweater, sitting gaily on the porch taking the sun with some spring time perennials. This photo was just before I started the collar which is wide and drapey.
In a burst of speed I knitted the 2nd sleeve and am now half done with the collar...energy flagging just a little. This is due to the fact that I'm working on a couple of new designs, can't say anything about them yet.... I'll probably end up finishing the cartigan in August. It will be tedious to try it on on a 90 degree day, but wonderful to take it out that first really chilly day in September and wear it for the first time.
After this I have a sweater from Rowan Vintage knits to finish. A cotton/tencel summer sweater from Interweave knits to finish...socks....a sweater I'm designing. I'm sure I'll always have 1 or 2 unfinished items lying about.

PS. When my hand starts to hurt I hold a bag of frozen peas for a few moments then I take a break and do some reading. I've been reading young adult fantasy fiction by Diana Wynn Jones. Recommended by my friend M. who is a fabulous knitter. The Chronicles of Crestomanci is lots of fun. How's Moving Castle is good too, and there's a follow-up to it: The House of Many Ways which I'll read next. After this, I'll get back to some serious reading. It may be time for more Haruki Murakami...

No comments:

Post a Comment