Saturday, August 29, 2009

Baby Oliver's Sweater


My brother and sister-in-law just had a baby--little Oliver Francis! So adorable. I'm so excited for them, and I'm excited for us since he'll be a playmate for our 2yr old son. Here's a cardigan designed by me in the 3mo size that I just finished for him. His Mom and Dad like classic, non-fussy baby items, so I wanted to make him something basic. The yarn is Filatura di Crosa Zara, which is washable merino wool. Super soft and fun to work with! I love using simple wooden buttons with my knits--its nice to keep the materials all natural.
I will say though, that I'm leaning more and more towards knitting top down, raglan sweaters for babies. I hate the bulky seams that you get sewing even the most delicate knitted pieces together. My next baby item will be just that: a top-down raglan cardigan for my other sister-in-law's 9-month old baby girl. I'm going to have fun with it and decorate with all sorts of knitted flowers.
When we adopted our son last year, a friend commented that I must be having a ball knitting for him. Well, in fact, that saying, "the shoemaker's children go barefoot" is apparently true, at least in my household. I've only knit him one thing--a cotton sweater from a nifty Debbie Bliss pattern. However, its time to remedy that. I have an aran sweater I designed and knit a prototype of in a baby size. I'm still pleased with the design, but it is knit in worsted weight yarn and a little too bulky for babies, so I'm going to redesign in toddler sizes.
Luckily we're having a rainy Saturday here--a big tropical storm is passing by New England so I can stay home and do some knitting.
PS. What am I reading? I'm about half way through "Red Earth and Pouring Rain," by Vikram Chandra. A tale set in India and southern California featuring college students, a reincarnated monkey, various family members of both, and a selection of Hindu gods. Chandra is a fabulous writer, this book is not always easy to read since there are so many characters to follow, but I marvel at his beautiful writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment